V.P.B. Nair Told BBC Sai Baba Bedroom Killings Were “Coldblooded Murder”
Posted by Barry Pittard on January 6, 2011
In mid 2004, former Andhra Pradesh Home Secretary, V.P.B. Nair – see: The BBC and the 1993 murders – spoke to the BBC about the official local, state and central government cover up that attended the police killings in Sathya Sai Baba’s bedroom in June 1993. He said he intended to take steps to get the case re-opened. But has he done anything of the sort?
Most major Indian media have entirely failed to tackle Sathya Sai Baba and his incredibly wealthy and influential cult. The exceptions have been: India Today, Tehelka, The Cavaran and (to a small extent) Hindustan Times. The job of exposure has been via the foreign media – e.g., BBC, CBC (Canada), DR (Denmark), Salon.com (USA), SBS, ABC (Australia, Times of London, Daily Telegraph, Guardian (UK), and newspapers in Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.
It is ironic, too, that NRI’s (Non Resident Indians) get to see coverage in the foreign media, whereas there is a heavy blanket of suppression in India. It makes the notion of ‘Indian democracy’ an oxymoron, and somewhat hollow.
An alert media would challenge V.P.B. Nair with the question: Have you – as you told the BBC you would do – pushed for a re-opening of the Puttaparthi police killings case?
It is of oddest irony that degrees of exposure of these crimes have been effectively left up to two individuals gifted with cussed unstoppableness – the late Basava Premanand in India and Robert Priddy in Norway. It is similarly significant that, so great is the unwillingness of most major Indian media to tackle Sathya Sai Baba and his incredibly wealthy and influential cult, that exposing him has been, with the exception of India Today, Tehelka, The Caravan, and (to a small extent) Hindustan Times, left up to the foreign media to do – e.g., BBC, CBC (Canada), DR (Denmark), SBS, ABC (Australia), Times of London, Daily Telegraph, Guardian (UK), Salon.com (USA), and newspapers in Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.
Again, there is irony in that NRI’s (Non Resident Indians) get to see coverage in the foreign media that is tightly suppressed in India!
The lengths to which Basava Premanand and Robert Priddy have gone to examine the welter of documentation have required much sacrifice of time and energy. Robert Priddy and I kept in touch with Premanand over the years, and this access allowed us confidential insight into the very real risks to life and limb that Premanand ran. My own tribute to this remarkable man is here: Basava Premanand. Vale. A fighter for truth who lived what others preach.
Short Selection of Robert Priddy’s Writings on the Killings
Six devotees of Sathya Sai Baba were slain on 6 June 1993. No official investigation was completed since the government quashed the CBI’s investigation. No charges were brought.
- SATHYA SAI BEDROOM MURDERS OVERVIEWA summary presentation of known events – the incident, questionable points, the investigations, and the quashing of the CBI investigations.
- REVIEW OF THE SAI BABA MURDERS ISSUE A summary overview of the suppression of facts and investigations by Sai Baba, his officials and the Government of India
- SCANNED RECORDS OF V.K. NARASIMHAN REPORT ON THE MURDERS & PART TWO Recorded notes in situ of conversations with V.K.N. where he revealed covered-up facts about the six murders in Sai Baba’s temple complex
- INDIAN PRESS REPORTS Excerpts from the Indian press coverage of the incident and it’s follow-up.
- SUMMARY OF VITAL MURDER EVIDENCE
- MORE UNTOWARD INCIDENTS – MURDERS, SUICIDES, DISAPPEARANCES Through the years many highly suspicious incidents have occurred at both the Andhra Pradesh ashrams of Sathya Sai Baba, some of which are reported here.
- HOW THE BLACKMAIL BY JANAKIRAMIAH WAS CARRIED OUT Details of the basis for blackmail uses by PN authorities to force the police to shoot down the 4 assailants
- FURTHER VIEWS ON THE UNSOLVED MURDER CASE IN THE SAI MANDIR
- SAI BABA JUDGES OTHER NEGATIVELY BUT HIS WORDS APPLY EQUALLY TO HIS OWN ACTIONS
- MURDER REPORT IN ‘THE WEEK’ – INDIA Detailed account some weeks after event, with diagrams and comments
- FEAR OF SATHYA SAI BABA How fear is a means which helps the guru control and subtly threaten his following
- SUICIDES DUE TO SAI BABA’S CLAIMS OR PROMISES
- PREMANAND’S ANALYSIS OF THE MURDER SCENE PHOTOGRAPH
Further Reading At this blogsite: ‘Call For Media and Government Investigation of Sathya Sai Baba‘
(Note: You may prefer to proceed straight to the Petition):