Indulal Shah and Indian Government Cover Up
Posted by Barry Pittard on October 27, 2008
of Mumbai, India, was replaced by Dr Michael Goldstein, of Covina, California, as world convener of the Sathya Sai Organization. Shah more recently retired from his chairmanship of the Indian organization. There is a mass of documentation indicating that, following the police killings in Sai Baba’s bedroom June 6, 1993, he presided over a massive cover up to prevent police, media and judicial investigation in India. The Hindu, 10-6-1993 reported:
“When press persons met Mr. Indulal Shah, chief functionary of the Sri Sathya Sai World Trust, he said, ‘the matter is purely internal and we do not wish to have any law enforcement agency investigating into it.’”
Robert Priddy has just blogged, referring to Goldstein, quoting my questions addressed to him (Goldstein). See Challenge to the Sathya Sai Organization cannot be met Posted by robertpriddy on October 26, 2008
Key Issues Need To Be Addressed By Indian Members of Sathya Sai Oranization (and the Indian public)
|Flag of that India whom Sathya Sai Baba has said will soon lead the world under his rule|
But – apart from the social, political and justice avenues in India – the same questions need to be asked by Indian members of the Sathya Sai Organization! – quite apart from those in many countries, who have left it in a variety of states such as grief, anger, hurt, sense of betrayal and concern at the extent of the cover up by those in official capacities whom, over the years, they thought they could trust. They need to be courageous enough to overcome the barrier placed by the natural – and in many cases very worthy – respect for elders. Otherwise, all Sai Baba’s and his organization’s talk about being fearless is vain.
Although there are some encouraging signs of change, unfortunately, sex crime is even more of a tabooed topic in India than in the West, where there has been far more work done in addressing the issues. But there are other major issues that need to be dealt with as well, and, even though Shah is now retired, his legacy continues and no organization – especially a spiritual one – will win trust and respect when it is time and again, year after year, exposed for extremely serious cover ups, and acts as a law unto itself.
BBC’s Tanya Datta: Velayudhan Nair rejects the police version of events. He should know. Until two thousand and two he was Home Secretary of Andhra Pradesh and in charge of the state police. On coming to office he examined the files and found that the original police report was riddled with lies and inconsistencies. This was later exposed by a CID investigation.
VPB Nair: Two or three daggers cannot be a match to roaring guns. So this story of the police being attacked and the police shooting in self-defence is totally baseless.
Tanya Datta: So are you suggesting that the police executed the boys that night?
VPB Nair: In absolute… this is absolute cold-blooded murder.
V.P.B. Nair, formerly in charge of Andhra Pradesh State Police, who was interviewed by the BBC for ‘The Secret Swami’
Goldstein in Except from Transcript of the BBC’s ‘The Secret Swami’ (2004)
Tanya Datta: Why don’t you have thorough investigations, instead of just asking one question to one person?
Michael Goldstein: What do you mean by thorough investigation?
2’nd Interviewer: Objective investigators, not someone asking the perpetrator whether he, he carried out the act. But someone, you know, a proper legal process or a legalistic process should I say.
Tanya Datta: Yes.
Michael Goldstein: Because I don’t believe that’s appropriate with Sai Baba.
2’nd Interviewer: Why not?
Michael Goldstein: Because my heart and my conscience tell me that it’s not possible.
Note: So much for accountability of the top leader. What of the heart and conscience of anguished former devotees worldwide, many of whom gave decades of loving service to Sathya Sai Baba and from within his international organization?!
View BBC Video Clips
Select Further articles
Towards Public Accountability and Due Investigation: A Formal Open Appeal To ‘The Prashanthi Council’
Select Robert Priddy Articles
Depth of detail ban be Found on his main website in the following articles
- SATHYA SAI BEDROOM MURDERS OVERVIEW A summary presentation of known events – the incident, questionable points, the investigations, and the quashing of the CBI investigations.
- REVIEW OF THE SAI BABA MURDERS ISSUE A summary overview of the suppression of facts and investigations by Sai Baba, his officials and the Government of India
- SCANNED RECORDS OF V.K. NARASIMHAN REPORT ON THE MURDERS & PART TWO Recorded notes in situ of conversations with V.K.N. where he revealed covered-up facts about the six murders in Sai Baba’s temple complex
- INDIAN PRESS REPORTS Excerpts from the Indian press coverage of the incident and it’s follow-up.
- FURTHER VIEWS ON THE UNSOLVED MURDER CASE IN THE SAI MANDIR
- MORE UNTOWARD INCIDENTS – MURDERS, SUICIDES, DISAPPEARANCES Through the years many highly suspicious incidents have occurred at both the Andhra Pradesh ashrams of Sathya Sai Baba, some of which are reported here.
- HOW THE BLACKMAIL BY JANAKIRAMIAH WAS CARRIED OUT Details of the basis for blackmail uses by PN authorities to force the police to shoot down the 4 assailants
- SAI BABA JUDGES OTHER NEGATIVELY BUT HIS WORDS APPLY EQUALLY TO HIS OWN ACTIONS
- MURDER REPORT IN ‘THE WEEK’ – INDIA Detailed account some weeks after event, with diagrams and comments
Heavily Implicated Faces
Political bedfellows of Sathya Sai Baba
Puttaparthi Police Chief whose report could not be challenged by other police investigators
Close ‘servitors’, key cover-up agents